Today was a most wonderful day in the brotherhood in Valdosta, Georgia. I loved Bryan’s comment tonight that today gave him a glimpse of what it was like in the days of the early church – “back in the day” when the followers came from miles around to spend the day together worshipping, in fellowship, laughing, mourning, being family.The morning was great for me, as usual, because I love the family at Central Avenue. I miss these people throughout the week, and I thrive on being together with the church. There have been times in my life when I could not say that, but I say it today and I mean every word.
We began with our Bible study adding faithfulness to our fruit of the spirit. We were asked who came to mind when we heard the word faithful, and immediately my Grandmommy came to mind. She was faithful in every aspect of the word. She was faithful to the Lord and faithful to her commitments to the brotherhood even when she didn’t have the support of all of her family. She was faithful to her family doing everything she could to keep Christ at the center and giving when she had little to give. We wore handmade clothes and still enjoy handmade quilts, blankets, linens and crafts that are distinctly “Pauline.” And, she was faithful to those she cared for working at the nursing home in the evening hours. Had she not been so faithful and encouraging to Mother, we might not have been raised in the Christian family we still hold so closely today.
We followed class with another great lesson from Bryan. I want to thank him for keeping it real and making the Word of God so practical. It was a perfect segue to the long afternoon to follow.
Immediately following the service, a funeral luncheon was being served next door. Not one, but two funerals were held today. First we had the funeral of a dear brother followed by the funeral of a dear sister. While we were all sad to be saying goodbye, each service was truly a celebration of the lives lived by this brother and sister. What an inspiration to hear the words of joy being spoken about the life, the inspiration, the hard work, the dedication, the faithfulness. Whether it was about their faith, their family, their careers – it was said, sometimes through tears, but with a smile.
Ironically the next event for the day was a baby shower. Again, it was so warming to see the brotherhood gathered around a young couple that is about to welcome their first child into the world. The smiles on their faces while surrounded by grandparents, family and friends seemed to take our minds off of the most recent events of the day, if even for a little while. We are blessed with many young families at Central, and I love that!
We then quickly began to reset tables as families began bringing in even more desserts for a reception that would follow the evening worship that was about to begin. I don’t think his sermon could have been brought at a better time. The title: What does God look like? - More on that in a minute.
The service was followed by a bittersweet reception for Gordon and Elaine Tefferteller. When I arrived at Central almost 10 years ago both were retired but still a great presence in the church. Gordon was serving as an elder still, Elaine always the encourager. Remember, I moved to Georgia to work with Georgia Christian School. In the early days of their marriage the Teffertellers also worked at GCS, then Dasher Bible School. It was a hard job then, and things hadn’t changed much when I arrived. They understood my challenges and we quickly formed a bond. They looked out for me and I was always keenly aware of their presence in the congregation. Oh how many times I have heard Mrs. Elaine call my name and command me to come and give her hug. But it was more than just a church hug. Every time she wanted to know how I was doing; how I was really doing. She could see through the routine “fine” we often throw out, and she would quickly get to the bottom of things if I was not, indeed, fine. She cares about me – they both do.
Tonight’s reception was bittersweet because we were saying goodbye to Gordon and Elaine. He is no longer serving as an elder, and their health is failing. Along with their family, they have decided to move to Atlanta to be closer to children and grandchildren that can help with their care. I couldn’t help but cry with her when she said that she had cried all day as she watched her furniture being moved out of her home. Then she wrapped her arms around me and said some things I will never forget.
Elaine told me that she had been watching me these years at Central. She knew many of the hardships I faced with GCS. She watched as I faced unemployment, looking for a home, finding my place. She watched as I was hired at Valdosta State and found a new place in the community. Tonight she told me how proud she was of how I had handled myself in every situation, how I had never lost faith, how I never lost my spirit. Then she said something that truly touched my heart. She said that her only regret was that she didn’t do more for me. Then she hugged me, told me how much she loved me, and we said goodbye.
What does God look like? Jesus Christ is the face of God. Jesus Christ is God (John 1). Our God is real and through human flesh we see Him in Jesus Christ – exactly what God wants us to be.
We concluded the lesson with the statement that we do not know what God physically looks like. Tonight, I disagree. God looks like my Grandmommy. God looks like the women and men that labored to prepare and serve a meal to the families who were burying a loved one today. God looks like the many brethren that gathered under tents in the pouring rain so they would not have to face this alone. God looks like the men, women and children that gathered around a brother and sister to celebrate the birth of their first child. God looks like the family that came together to worship and rejoiced in being physically exhausted having spent the entire day together. God looks like Gordon and Elaine Tefferteller. I will miss them.
Bubba

0 comments:
Post a Comment